Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beer: Rahr Blonde Lager

Brewery: Rahr & Sons Brewing Company Fort Worth, Texas

Overview: Rahr is a local brew, so I had to give it a try.  The only brewery closer to me would be Franconia in McKinney, Texas, and they don't offer bottled beers.  I decided to give the Rahr blonde a try since it is their primary brew.

Aroma: Not sure what the predominant aroma is, but a definite band-aid phenol is present.  Some lemon hiding in there, perhaps.

Appearance: Clear straw, extremely thin white head.  Good amount of sandy-like suspended sediment.

Flavor: The rubbery flavor carries over dramatically to the taste as well.  Something is off in the flavor and it leaves a dryness on the tongue that carries over just an unpleasant edge of bitterness.  Finish is almost a dirt-like earthiness.

Overall Impression: Of every Texas beer I have had, this is certainly towards the bottom of the list.  I am not sure if perhaps I got a bad bottle and this just needs a re-taste later on, or if this is really just a beer that I am not a fan of.   With so many beers to try, I don't foresee getting back around to this anytime soon, particularly, but I may try to run the gamut on the other Rahr & Sons brews.

Vitals:
Style Munich Helles
Price $7.49/six-pack
Found In Grocery Store Beer Aisle
Alcohol Content 4.8% by volume
Availability Year-round
Bitterness 22 IBU

Rating: 73

2 comments:

  1. What did the label look like. Blonde Woman or LongHorn Label. The Longhorn Label is old and we have not used that in about 10 months.... So the beer could be very old depending on where you purchased it. Please advise

    Thank you - Fritz Rahr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - good question. I'm pretty sure it was the Longhorn label.

    Since I LOVE Ugly Pug so much, I will schedule this one for another review at some point and double check that I've got the Blonde Woman label as well.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete