Monday, July 5, 2010

Beer: Big Sky Moose Drool

Big Sky Moose Drool by kapital
Licensed under Creative Commons
Brewery: Big Sky Brewing Company Missoula, Montana

Overview: Moose Drool first hooked me when I was looking for an example of an American Brown Ale to try.  I found it at a local pub, and gave it a try.  Since then, I have gone back to it again and again.  The brewers indicate it is the best selling beer in Montana, and, while that might not say much to someone living in a metroplex with over ten times the population of the entire state of Montana in our metropolitan area alone, it still is worth checking out.

Aroma: Sweet roasted malty aroma, some light citrus from hops, slight alcohol.

Appearance: Brown, not opaque, with red highlights when viewed with backlight.  Tan to white head very persistent with some lace that persists as you drink the beer down.

Flavor: Heavy roast and coffee flavors present themselves up front, though the body of the beer is not heavy, and lends itself to easy drinking.  Some hints of caramel and burnt malty sweetness come through.  Some hop bitterness and roasted coffee flavors persist into a finish.

Overall Impression: I really have to admit that at first I was afraid that the roast of this beer may end up making it a heavy beverage, and while I am not sure I can drink several of these over a night, I do enjoy Moose Drool as a refreshing and settling beer at the end of a long day.  Moose Drool has made its way into a go-to beer slot for a light-bodied, roasted beer.

Vitals:
Style American Brown Ale
Price $9.99/six-pack
Found In Regional Liquor Store, Local Pub
Alcohol Content 5.3% by volume
Availability Year-round

No comments:

Post a Comment