Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beer: Magic Hat Howl

Used with permission
Magic Hat Brewery
Brewery:  Magic Hat Brewery South Burlington, Vermont

Overview: "I am beer, hear me roar" - well at least that's what it said under my cap.  Magic Hat's continued set of unique creations continues with the winter seasonal, Howl. 

Aroma: Honestly, it's a clean beer, with not much in the aroma department as far as I can tell.  A little hint of malt in there, and perhaps some syrup.

Appearance: Black.  Yup.  Black.  Light tan head, and if you hold it to the light just right, you might find a ruby.

Flavor: Smooth and creamy, some roast and drying at the edges.  Light and easy drinking body.  Leaves a slight bitterness in the finish.

Overall Impression: I am impressed with Howl as a beer, and it is one of my favorite Magic Hat seasonals to try so far.  It is also the only Magic Hat brew I have tried so far that fits within a category relatively easily.  It is a Dark Black Lager aka Schwarzbier.  It ranks well up there with the other Black Lagers that I have had.

Vitals:
Style Schwarzbier
Price $7.99/six-pack
Found In Local Liquor Store
Alcohol Content 4.6% by volume
Availability Winter Seasonal
Bitterness 32 IBU


Rating: 92

No comments:

Post a Comment