Monday, June 7, 2010

Beer: Delirium Tremens (2009)

Bruxelas - Pub Delirium Tremens by Marcelo Costa
Licensed via Creative Commons
Brewery: Huyghe Brewery Melle/Ghent, Belgium

Overview: Produced in the oldest active brewery in Ghent, Belgium, Delirium Tremens has been referred to as "the best beer in the world" (sometimes even by me).

Aroma: Some rose, orange, peach or apricot flavors, some of the candi sugar, pure sweetness.  As you get to the bottom of the bottle, may find more overwhelming orange in the citrus.

Appearance: Beautiful golden color, with hints of orange.  Effervescent white head.  Clear at first, may have some clouding with sediment as you work through the bottle.

Flavor: Effervescence carries over to mouthfeel, like a champagne. Some bitterness, but balanced.  Alcohol warmth not particularly detected, a rarity among Belgians.  Instead the hops bitterness and some sweetness masks it well.  In the flavor, I get some bitter orange, along with some of the sweetness.  Some spice from clove elements.  Finish is crisp, with strong lingering hop bitterness.  Beer does change in complexity as you work through the bottle and may have some strong malty sweetness, some burnt caramel at times.

Overall Impression: I used to claim this was my "favorite beer in the world" though I am not sure that claim still holds true, I do give it credit for pulling me into the world of the Belgian ales headlong.  I still do love this beer and its seductive ability to trick you with its citrus and slight bitter masking of the underlying alcohol, hiding the warmth that you are likely to find in many other Belgians of this strength.  As you work through a large (1 pt, 9.4 oz) bottle, you will find the beer has a tendency to change slightly, as you notice complexity and previous flavors tire.  I did bust out my own personal Delirium Tremens glass (like the one in the picture) for this tasting, though I was not able to mimic the three to four finger head displayed in the pour.  I love that the cork on the bottle displayed the bottle year (2009), which will, of course, lead me to need to review this beer again in the future.  While I can't for certain say this is still my favorite beer, it is a delight to drink, a good way to get yourself in trouble (fast) if you are not paying attention, and a beer that everyone should try (at least once, or twice if you slammed it down the first time).

Vitals:
Style Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Price $10.99/1 pt, 9.4 oz bottle
Found In Regional Liquor Store
Alcohol Content 8.5% by volume
Availability Year-round

Next Week Happy Hour Review: Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment